Monday 7 December 2009

I made it through the rain





Well if you live in the UK you'll know what the major topic of conversation has been over the last few weeks. You guessed it. Rain.

We've been hit by one relentless deluge after another. Add a side order of gales and a couple of frosts and just about everyone had a cold or flu. It's horrible. Truly horrible.

Strangely despite the weather some things on the plot keep growing. WEEDS!!!!! Everywhere is carpeted with weeds. In these dark winter evenings I don't get to the plot after work so I only visit at weekends. Before I can do anything useful I have to hoe out yards of weeds from across the plot. It's becoming quite a drag.

Still I've managed to break the back of the bottom plot. The Asparagus have been tucked up nicely for the winter and the fruit bushes have been dressed with a layer of manure and straw to protect their roots from the frosts. The trees can use a prune but not right now.



The climbing fruits have been trained up some canes so these should be a bit less unruly next season. Apparently we've got two Tay Berry bushes. Two! Think you could pick out a Tay Berry from a line up? I couldn't.


Next. What the heck is wrong with my carrots?

No comments: