Wednesday 21 April 2010

Aspargus update




At the beginning of the warmest, dries April I've known for some time the Asparagus started to emerge from under the winter mulch. I carefully cleared all the mulch away and look what I found.

So by late April as the warm dry weather continued most of my Asparagus is already past the eating point so I can stop sitting on my hands and enjoy the wonder of this strange but very delicious early cropping vegetable.

This is the Anniversary of the Asparagus being planted. They were cute little one year old roots when we put them in last year. This year we can take a few stems but what's the point? As Smoky said. "A taste of honey is worse than none at all".



Next year we'll be able to eat loads of this stuff and I'll be sure to post some nice inventive recipes.



This year I just get to water and feed and nurture my crop. It's tantalising.

No comments: