Monday 11 May 2009

As long as people accept rubbish it will be financially profitable to produce rubbish.

I found a local farm shop that sells duck eggs and Goose eggs (Available only six weeks of the year) and sells lots of veg that it grows on the farm. Don't panic. I'm not going to preach to the choir.

I now do my very best to buy all the veg that I cannot grow myself from my lovely "Veg & Bloom Farm". I ride there mostly so I'm not making extra trips in the car either. It is nice for me to think that you too might think about doing the same where you can. (Obviously don't shop at the one in Upminster that would be folly). It's not easy, and like most things in life you have to put yourself out to be responsible or stand up for what you think is right.

Here's the rub. If I buy all my veg from farm guy (above) and his profits go up, will he concentrate of growing better veg and keeping the farm as a going concern? Or will he think of more things to sell me so that in a few years I'm shopping for fennel in a flipping garden centre?

Let's all be careful what we wish for.

Tesco et al have their place, we all need baked beans and tinned tomatoes and Orange Juice lets not be silly about this. I'm not an eco-warrior, I don't want to "Fight the man" but I'm happy to ignore him at parties.

A word of caution though. Be wary of Farmer's Markets. It strikes me that some are stalked by highly unscrupulous posers selling highly packaged rubbish to get you to part with your hard earned cash. "Oh this is lovely we got it from a Farmer's Market in Wolverhampton".

If you find yourself with a fridge full of artisan goats cheese and exotic preserves you'll never eat either side of Christmas you'll know where I'm coming from. Please, go to a Farmer's Markets with a shopping list the same way you would go to Sainsburys. See how much you come home with.

You're welcome.

Happier blogs will follow. I'm in a dark place right now but it's just a phase I'm going through.

No comments: